You can choose between these three options:

1. Housing in a University Residence

It is managed by the CROUS and the International Relations Office centralises housing requests for exchange students or under convention only.

When you pre-register online on Mobility Online, you will be asked to download an application form for a university residence.

You may make up to 3 wishes (in case your first choice is not available anymore). It is imperative that you write your INE number on the housing application form, otherwise the housing department (CROUS) will not be able to assign you a dwelling. To obtain this INE number, you must follow this procedure: step by step on

The completed form must be sent by email along with your Mobility Online pre-registration file (as indicated in the procedure) to the office in charge of incoming exchange students. It will then be sent to the CROUS who will take over to assign you an accommodation. You will be contacted by a CROUS officer, who will give you a detailed step-by-step procedure for putting together your rental file, and the necessary steps before, during and after your arrival.
Forms sent alone will not be processed.

N.B. If you are a classical exchange student (Erasmus or exchange agreement), you are exempt from the CVEC (Student Life and Campus Contribution), so you should not pay this tax.
If, on the other hand, you are a student in a paid program (master’s degree in English, intensive program CUEFEE EEP, license FLE...), you must pay the CVEC.


2. Private accommodation

If you choose one of the following options, you will need to look by yourself:

  • Private accommodation
    You can also choose to rent rooms or apartments, furnished or not, from private individuals. For this type of accommodation, you will need to be autonomous and talk to the landlord directly. The University can’t guarantee the quality of a private accommodation. Search for an accommodation which is called «meublé/furnished» : this means that basic equipment is included so that the tenant can sleep, eat and live in a decent way.

You can check our downloadable student guide for more information.


3. Youth Hostel

There is a youth hostel in Tours. Get more information on this website
This can also be a temporary accommodation upon your arrival, time for you to get everything organized (remember you cannot move in a residence hall during the week-ends).

Student housing aid

You will find on the Caisse d'Allocations Familiales-CAF website all the practical information related to the housing aid ruled by the the French government.
Step-by-step tutorials are downloadable in French and English at the bottom of the page.