Practical life information

We are well aware that moving to a new country involves getting used to a new way of life and new habits that can be sometimes quite different from home. We have gathered several information that can be useful to know for your settling and life in Tours.

Life Cost

As for a typical monthly budget in Tours, you should anticipate to spend at least 700-800€ on average : it includes rent and cost of transportation, food, outings and leisure activities, as well as upkeep costs.
In the 1st month, this budget is doubled because you will face extra costs related to your settlement : deposit, additional equipment for your accommodation, insurances, OFII tax, etc...

Please find an example of a monthly budget so that you can have in mind most of the expenses to be expected.



Before your arrival, we can book you an appointment for the opening of your bank account. Please be aware that it can be difficult to open a bank account if your stay is less than a year. We recommend that you contact your bank before your departure so that they can advise you of the services to be taken out to reduce your banking costs abroad.

For your bank appointment, you will need to bring:

  • Your passport
  • Your contract or University registration certificate
  • A proof of accommodation in France (Renting contract, house insurance certificate…)

If you come with your partner and you have a contract with the University, they will need to have a bank account with their name on it so that they can be reimbursed by the French Health Insurance. It is also possible to open a joint bank account.

At the end of your stay and before your departure, do not forget to take an appointment to close your bank account.


Medical General Information

Travel insurance

This applies to researchers coming for short stays who cannot be covered by the French Health Insurance and to PHD students not registered at the University of Tours. You must subscribe to it before your arrival in France.

For others and especially for those who don’t belong to the European Union , it is also strongly recommended to subscribe to it for the first 3 to 4 months of their stay. It covers medical costs and repatriation.

Find a doctor or a specialist

  • How to book a medical appointment?

You can easily make an appointment online with a general practitioner or a specialist thanks to Doctolib : 

Please note that waiting times can be up to 6 months for appointments with certain specialists (ophthalmologist in particular).

Emergency phone numbers

15: SAMU ( Health Emergency Service)
17: Police
18: Fire Department
112: European Emergency Number
114: Urgent medical call-outs by text messages for hearing-impaired person or in case of a terrorist attack

SOS Doctor: 02 47 38 33 33

SOS Dentist (dental emergency only) : 02 47 05 67 20

Hospitals: Hôpital Trousseau (Tours South) / Bretonneau (Tours city enter) : 02 47 47 47 47


Public Transport in Tours

Public transport company Fil Bleu 

To use the bus and tramway, you will have to subscribe to a transport bundle. There are two different monthly fare options. These are 23€ for ages 19 to 25 and 45€ for age 26 and over. For more information on fares, please visit the Fil Bleu website. Public transport is free of charge for a child less than 5 years old.

If you have a contract with the University of Tours, you will have to complete a reimbursement request form so that you can be reimbursed half of your monthly fare.

Please contact your HR to request a form.

Upon arrival, we can help you complete the Fil Bleu subscription form. You will need to bring it along to the Fil Bleu Office situated at 9 rue Michelet. Please also bring a colour passport photo, your French bank details (RIB) and your ID Card/Passport.

How to use your transport card?

Please swipe your card every time you get on the bus or tramway.

How to travel in France:



Driving in France

A few rules

  • Drive on the right-hand side (steering wheel on the left of the vehicle)
  • Seat belts are compulsory in front and back seats
  • Car seats are compulsory for children up to 10 years old.

When you come across an intersection and there is no sign, please give way to vehicles coming on your right.

Driving licenses issued within the European Union

Holders of a driving license issued by a member state of the European Union are authorised to drive vehicles in France.

Student visa holder

You can drive with your driving license regardless of the country of delivery, as long as you have with you your Student visa/ resident permit.

Passeport Talent/Researcher, “Salarié”, “Vie privée vie familiale” visa holder

Check with us if an exchange of driving license is possible within your first year staying in France. If you have not applied within this frameline, it will be too late and you will not be allowed to drive in France after a year.

Holders of an international license issued by their country of origin can drive freely in France during the first 12 months of their stay. After, they must hold a French or European license.

Licenses granted by some countries or states of the USA are not recognized in France and do not allow the holder to drive on French territory. Please check ahead. If it's not possible and you want to drive in France, you will have to take and pass the French driving test (theory and practice).

Car Insurance

Car insurance is compulsory for vehicle owners on French territory (motorbike, scooter, car)

In case of an accident, it covers damage caused to the vehicle itself as well as damage caused to others.